Thursday 23 February 2012

7 January 2012

We said our last goodbyes to local and well loved journo Cecelia McNamarra yesterday.
 
Laughter and tears at a beautiful service as family and friends recounted "Cecelia Stories". I had a big smile as Cec was carried out of the church to the strains of Paul Simon's "Cecelia". Now I don't get to too many funerals, unlike my folks. At 91 and 87 I guess there's a lot more of their generation dropping ...off.
 
But you're reminded of your own mortality. How much have you done, what do you want to do, how many glasses are left in your bottle. In and outside the church and at the wake at the "Cacko" after, I caught up with so many of Cecelia's friends I hadn't seen in years. It was a send off that Cec would have loved. At 56 I'm sure she reckoned she had many more parties left in her.
 
I was sitting on our verandah last night talking about life the universe and everything with my wife. I spotted the evening star, so with bubbles in hand we gave a little toast to Cecelia.
 
I reckon it sparkled just a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment